announcements awesome links MRA

Check out Jaclyn Friedman’s piece on MRAs at the American Prospect

The Men’s Rights Movement inaction. Sorry, in action. Picture from Civilian Media. (Click on pic for link.)

Jaclyn Friedman, who faced off with A Voice for Men’s always charming Paul Elam for that 20/20 story that may eventually air sometime this century, has just published a great piece in the American Prospect on the Men’s Rights movement. Unlike some recent writers on the subject who’ve been taken in by some of the “movement’s” rhetoric and personalities  — *cough*R. Tod Kelly at the Daily Beast*cough* — she fucking nails them.  Check it out.

kittehserf

sakurabelle – I was thinking this morning that for a bunch who’re so fond of saying women need to “take responsibility,” these fuckwads are pretty damn keen on evading it for themselves.

Though since their idea of women taking responsibility boils down to us being responsible/to blame for every bad thing men do to us, it’s all of a piece, really.

Athywren
Athywren

Roosh’s comment on the child abuse article:
“This article was indeed meant to be satire.”

That’s seriously their go-to excuse for every disgusting thing they publish, isn’t it?

Well at least they’re honest about the fact that their movement is a joke?
I can’t help but wonder what it is that they’re supposed to be satirising, though? Usually there’s something that satire targets… and usually, it’s so far outside the bounds of sense that it’s obvious. Their satire is just run of the mill fundamentalism and misogyny.

kittehserf

Also Roosh bragging about his allegedly big bits doesn’t sound like satire. More like desperate attempts at self-validation. Someone should remind him that a big penis doesn’t make up for a tiny, shrivelled personality.

marinerachel
marinerachel

What good is a big dick if no one wants near it?

kittehserf

Easier for him to rage-wank?

sakurabelle
sakurabelle

Oh, Roosh didn’t write the article. Someone called ‘Rebel Yell’ did.

kittehserf

That name sounds familiar.

Urgh, I hope that scumbag doesn’t actually have children. Well, none he’s in contact with, anyway.

Mind you it’s true of Roosh anyway – rage-wanker extraordinaire.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Isn’t there a rule for satire that’s basically “If you have to explain that it’s satire, ur doin it rong”?

Athywren
Athywren

Maybe it’s something about being English, but I’ve never felt the need to tell anyone about my averagely sized eight foot penis… that is average, right? It’s not small…?
If you’re going to need to know anything about it, you’ll find out well enough in advance… and if you don’t, who cares?

kittehserf

Jeez, that must make buying trousers a challenge.

Fi
Fi

With a name like that, of course he’s into rage-wanking, or as he’d call it, “dancing with myself”.

Ewww!

Athywren
Athywren

Now that would’ve made Dr Who interesting…

Argenti Aertheri

TW: child abuse

“They should be beat constantly until they realize that they can’t get away and have to fight back to survive.”

…or they give up thinking anything they do matters since no matter what they do they get beat.

I may have some experience in this matter…troll bashing is excellent therapy. (We did eventually start hitting back, but it took until we were both teenagers…does mean that if you lay a hand on me, you may be eating the ground, so there’s that, I guess)

kittehserf

Now that would’ve made Dr Who interesting…

Now that is not how I want to imagine Tom Baker, thankyouverymuch.

Argenti – that just brought to mind how Louis was whipped (not beaten with fists, whipped) until, in one book’s phrase, “his physical development precluded it.” Old enough to fight back, in other words. Not even being a king saves one from abuse.

Virtual-hugs-in-memory to you both.

Athywren
Athywren

May all abusers be [dealt with in an unpleasant manner.]

OT, I just looked at our Ferrety overlord’s twitter feed: https://twitter.com/Sexismbusters/status/393466364590972928
I like the message TM’s sending. “Either you’re instantly victorious across the board, or you’ve lost.” And that’s why (reason #1429753945) the MRM is a joke.

kittehserf

Not only is a child unlikely to fight back because they don’t know if they’ll get beaten more, but the sheer size disadvantage means it wouldn’t do them much good if they tried.

For people who claim to be oppressed, these fuckers sure love fantasising about abusing those who are, or who they assume to be, physically helpless against them.

Argenti Aertheri

Yeah, we were both teenagers before we fought back, and I was doing theatre and carrying 75+ lbs of metal blocks arms in front of me style (ah lighting weights, how rusty you were), and my brother is ~200lbs. Plus, by then, our father was walking with a cane and using it to threaten us. Yeah, that was scary at first, then it dawned on both of us that he couldn’t catch us…

Took asshole awhile to learn that we were going to respond with overwhelming force without a second thought.

Moral of the story? Until the kid(s) in question are sure, I mean sure, that they can put you on the ground until you stay there! they won’t fight back. Maybe a few times, but the resulting “punishment” will only make it less likely.

(Oh, that martial arts discussion, I’ve picked up some judo and kempo from ex’s and both are fairly practical, judo in particular is using your opponent’s momentium against them and stuff like that)

wordsp1nner

I just checked out Mr. Horrible Martin’s twitter feed (linked by Athywren). It is kind of disturbing how much of it sounds just like what he said the last time he was here–down to being hilariously touchy about being bald.

Kim
Kim

He looks like he bathes in cheeto dust while playing World of Warcraft.

You say that like those things somehow make you a bad person.

Marie
Marie

@grumpycatisagirl

Incidentally, that pig-apple-high-heel Andrea Dworkin quote . . . does anyone know the context around that?

I don’t know, but from the description, I’m really curious what the quote is…

@sakuarbelle

Roosh’s comment on the child abuse article:
“This article was indeed meant to be satire.”

*eyetwitch* Ugh, he’s horrible.

@auggz

It’s like a meat scarf.

I laughed too hard XD

Cthulhu's Intern

You know, I seriously wonder if someone told MRAs/PUAs the definition of “satire,” a lot of them would be like “Oh. Shit, we said some awful shit.”

kittehserf

Nope, because they are horrible people.

Angela Gibbons

@Cthulhu’s Intern

Nah, they’d just reject the real definition and make up their own.

I know, I tell them the actual definition of “feminism” all the time. 😛

kittehserf

Angela, you nailed it. Words only mean what those tossers want them to mean.

Alice Sanguinaria

kittehs – Is there an MRA to English dictionary around?

::preens::

Alice Sanguinaria

cloudiah – LOLOLOL, I see we has scrotoverse in there now.

Oh yeah, here’s one!

evidence – anything that shows that women are to blame for everything, that women suck, that women are inherently gold-digging sluts, etc.

gender studies – all women and all feminists have a degree in gender studies, even if they claim to have a STEM degree. No exceptions.

Angela Gibbons

“mi·so·ga·mist

a person who marries fermented soybean paste”

Okay, THAT one made my day. XD

rjjspesh

I. Am going to share. THE BEJEEZUS out of this article

Shaun DarthBatman Day

grumpycatisagirl and anyone else who cares, the quote is from a work of fiction, “Ice and Fire” which Dworkin did write. I have not read the book, but the one time I was able to find anyone talking about the context of that quote, and this is second hand, apparently the fictional character who days that was brutally raped and left for dead. It’s fiction. I can’t stress that enough.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Re: The Meat Scarf… I really want to crochet a huge long dick scarf now. With balls, possibly hairy. I can’t imagine ever wearing this thing but it would be so fun to make 😀

theladyzombie

OMG. If you make a pattern for that, please oh please oh please share it with me!

Also, since when did Uncle Fester join the MRM?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

From left to right – Uncle Fester, evil Mario Batali, grandpa seems to have gotten lost because he looks awfully confused, Paul Simon’s evil mini-me, and some guy in a jacket that he stole from an 80s hair metal band.

dustydeste
dustydeste

@theladyzombie: Errr… I don’t actually know how to do patterns. Or even read one, tbh. I just freestyle… Best I could do is pictures, unfortunately. Sorry ):

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Also, not to pick on the last guy in particular but more of a message to men in general – guys, if you could fit 5 of your butt in your jeans then they don’t fit. Size down.

theladyzombie

A picture would be just as good!

theladyzombie

*snerk!*

Crocheted penises on a 70’s (?) era couch!comment image

Crocheted penis scarf!comment image

Crocheted penis hat!comment image

Okay, I’m being juvenile here. I’d better go to bed. But…bwahahahaha!

Justlurking
Justlurking

Totally off-topic, except article reminded me how violent their rhetoric is. Has anyone here seen Blue Caprice? True story of Beltway shootings, shows father-son relationship in which father figure uses MRA rhetoric, almost verbatim of some quotes i’ve seen here and in forum, to manipulate youth into some horrific crimes. Awesome film and you will hear echoes of Elam and Nolan I bet.

kittehserf

Mohair. You’ve got to use mohair for the balls!

On making patterns – I just write what I’ve knitted as I do it. Knitting first, pattern last. 🙂

Bwahahahahahaha!

OMG theladyzombie those knits!

Brooked
Brooked

QFT, Blue Caprice is an amazing movie; the best American indie film since Winter’s Bone. I don’t think it’s still theaters but it still may be available Video On Demand. Toss it on your Netflix queue, it comes out on home video in Jan.

grumpycatisagirl

Shaun Darthman – thanks. That book is in my city’s library and someday I’m going to have to go look through it and see if I can find that quote in its context (and they say you can find everything on the Internet, ha).

pineapplecookies
pineapplecookies

oh! I was cited in the MRA-English dictionary! *___* what an honor! especially since I rarely comment and usually just lurk. 🙂

pineapplecookies, hi! Delurk moar! 🙂

Marie
Marie

@dustydeste

That would be so hilarious! XD Also, was there a name/nickname you wanted to go by (as opposed to your screen name)? Can’t remember if I saw you say that earlier, so just checking 🙂

@theladyzombie

Crocheted penises on a 70′s (?) era couch!comment image

Crocheted penis scarf!comment image

Crocheted penis hat!comment image

Okay, I’m being juvenile here. I’d better go to bed. But…bwahahahaha!

You find such strange yet wonderful things 😀

Argenti Aertheri

Marie — dustydeste said ze prefers deste if you shorten it, but I can’t remember zir pronouns >.<