a woman is always to blame antifeminism crackpottery evil women men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA reddit straw feminists

Men’s Rights Quote of the Day: “Your typical woman would be fine making most men live in cages.”

If women ran the world, apparently
If women ran the world, apparently

Over in the Men’s Rights subreddit, a fella called EatsTinyBaldBabies offers this, er, insight:

It became quite clear to me some time ago that your typical woman would be fine making most men live in cages under 24/78 supervision if it meant they could feel just slightly safer about their lives. This is why feminists spend so much time lying to make them afraid.

Last I checked, he had gotten 18 upvotes for this BRAVE comment.

H/T to DancingMidgets in the AgainstMen’sRights subreddit for finding this little gem.

Argenti Aertheri

“Further conclusion: Nature intended us to reproduce in water, with external fertilization.”

Well in that case the soerm should be deposited on the lips, where it is then processed quickly through weird fishie methods until it meets the eggs, which are then produced in sacs and stuck to leaves, glass, etc. This is, after all, how cories reproduce (yes I’m serious, I do not get catfish)

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@Cassandra

You know what, I’m going to have to pass on this whole sex-the-radfem-approved-way thing.

I’m pretty sure sex the radfem-approved way is only with other women. Although I’ve seen people argue that “proper” lesbian sex should not involve any form of penetration, and now I’m betting those people were also radfems.

@Argenti

one of the cases of that that I saw was about burlesque and how you cannot reclaim it.

I’ll admit, I’m confused as to how neo-burlesque is supposed to be different from stripping/exotic dancing. But I’ll add that I don’t think either is inherently unfeminist. I mean, the institution of women dancing for men’s gratification (and lack of parallel institutions for other combinations of genders) is clearly patriarchal, but individual participants can have feminist reasons for participating, and I certainly don’t see how it’s feminist or pro-woman to blame the dancers for the system.

@Kim

English muffins are horribly hard, and what’s with the gritty stuff on the outside?

It’s probably just cornmeal. Keeps it from sticking to the surface it’s baked on. I bake bread the same way.

Also, toasted English muffins make a nice, crunchy base for peanut butter (with or without a drizzle of sriracha).

@Cassandra again

I can actually kind of see this. What kind of sausage, though?

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

When I think about it, though, keeping men in cages would probably be a slightly more reasonable solution to rape and sexual harassment outside than keeping women covered and kept in the home. After all, it’s men who can’t control their lust and are like wild animals around unguarded meat, right? Hey, don’t look at me, I didn’t make that claim about men.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

Also: Mint jelly. I just can’t eat anything with that stuff. My taste buds recognize it as toothpaste, so I can’t swallow it.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ emilygoddess

Standard pork sausages that are about the size of hot dogs. Add the fact that I’m not keen on cooked food first thing in the morning in general (unless it’s congee, which for some reason I’m fine with) and you have teenage me being kind of icked out.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I’m not trying to be a pain, but as sausage is one of the ever-diminishing number of ways I will eat meat, I knwo they can vary widely. Are standard English sausages sweet, or savory, or spicy, or bland? Chunky like Italian sausages, or smooth and uniform like hot dogs or Vienna sausages?

I’m sorry if I’m being a pain about this. I’m asking because I can see how sausages and marmalade might actually be good, but I’m trying to figure out what kind of sausage to try it with.

Athywren
Athywren

I don’t think we have a standard sausage? The ones I usually get are chunky and savoury, and I think they might be marginally more common than the other types, but if I went to the sausage aisle (is there such a thing a a sausage aisle?) and checked off which were covered in the available sausages, it’d be a page full of ticks.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I figured that was the case, Athywren. I only said “standard” because that was the word Cassandra used.

Athywren
Athywren

Ohh, didn’t see that comment… pork sausages are usually chunky, but they can be savoury or spicy. If I think about it, standard is probably savoury.

kittehserf

Even if they were like British biscuits it couldn’t be any weirder than sausages with marmalade, which some people at my high school ate for breakfast.

::barf::

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Savory but kind of bland, not spicy at all, and not really that chunky but not smooth/ground to a pulp like a hot dog. This was in a school cafeteria, remember, so take the universe of possibilities available in the UK and pick the most uninteresting option.

I really don’t like anything super sweet with meat, which is why I thought it was an awful idea, plus I dislike marmalade in general.

Athywren
Athywren

This was in a school cafeteria

OH DEAR GOD GET IT AWAY!
I still have nightmares about school dinners. And what sort of sadist disguises parsnips as chips? Seriously? It’s not that parsnips are that unpleasant but when you’re expecting potato… guh.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

My favorite from the school dinner hall of horrors was a dish that I don’t even know what to call, so I’ll describe it instead. OK, so you get a banana, right? And then you wrap it in bacon. Repeat, and then place your bacon-wrapped bananas in a really bland tomato sauce that’s a bit soup-like and obviously came out of a tin. Bake, and serve topped with cheese.

It was then that I realized that my school secretly wanted to kill all the students.

hellkell
hellkell

Cassandra: that is the most vile meal ever. I’d rather eat stinky tofu and top it off with durian for dessert.

cloudiah

No, you do not get a banana. NO MORE BANANAS FOR YOU, SCHOOL.

They’re just trying to be bold with bananas.

kittehserf

That banana … thing … does that come into the category of “food so gross even Elvis wouldn’t eat it”?

Argenti Aertheri

That is…wow. The only way that could be more gross is if they did it with mangos!

Emilygoddess — I had just learned of EA at the time and was extra pissy that apparently a woman singing, with an all woman crew (well, I think said crew includes one of their brothers now, but yeah), topics of choice ranging from “I’m not your chambermaid, you’re not my lord” to Fight Like a Girl, the cover track being getting revenge on men 49% of the world, who’s open about having had an abortion, etc…is inherently anti-feminist and deluded because she does this in a corset and little else.

For that matter, Thank God I’m Pretty is basically an ode to the evils of how society treats pretty women but fuck, she’s half naked so she deserves…”when I sing you’re jerking off”…and is a poor deluded thing to think the irony of that isn’t just playing into patriarchy.

To steal a line from VtM:B’s Nines — “it makes my head hurt just thinking about it all”

Falconer

@katz — that second bold banana picture, the naughty one? They had to have known, right?

@cloudiah — the first link I followed on Lileks’ page was to poop jokes. Boring poop jokes.

cloudiah

@Falconer, Avert your eyes from the poop jokes and just look at vegetables in all their glory.

Falconer

Oh god, I gotta avert my eyes from the vegetables, too.

dustydeste
dustydeste

In this vein of “things people ate that I’m pretty sure do not actually qualify as real food,” may I suggest Bad Jelly? They, er, test various retro recipes, with pictures of their creations 😀 Not much of a backlog yet though, alas.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Well I may have borked the link, but at least it works?

Drew
Drew

comment image

SittieKitty

Nummy biscuits.

These biscuits come together in a flash and require no special equipment.

Makes 8/9

1 cup all-purpose flour

¾ c pastry flour

2 teaspoons sugar

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.

Stir in the cream with a wooden spoon until the dough forms, about 30 seconds.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and gather into a ball.

Knead the dough briefly until smooth, about 30 seconds.

Pat the dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle or square.

Cut the biscuits into rounds using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter or 8 wedges using a

knife – or pat into a square and cut into 3 x 3 (9 biscuits) .

Place the biscuits on the parchment-lined baking sheet.

Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Seriously, super simple and most delicious and takes almost no time at all to make.

SittieKitty

Argenti, I wear both corsets and binders at different times… wonder what radfems think about me.

(Just kidding, I know, because I’ve expressed a desire to be stay-at-home and pass as a woman in every day convos so I’ve gotten the condescending speech until I tell them to shove it and start in on the very extensive feminist discourse that throws them completely off.)

Dvärghundspossen

Regarding men in feminism… I know loads of men who calls themselves feminist (including my husband) and whom I’m totally okay with. Most of them aren’t that engaged in the feminist movement, but they’ll say they’re feminist if asked because they agree that women as a group are oppressed and that this is a bad thing. They support most feminist suggestions even if they’re not actively propagating for the cause. Also, I internet-know a bunch of male feminists here at Manboobz who are completely reasonable people.

But I also internet-know, and have previously known AFK, some men calling themselves feminist whom I’m a little wary of. They’re usually the ones who loudly declare all the time how important it is that women get to rule feminism, that men are just quiet and listen to what women have to say about their experiences, and they often add that they can’t help hating themselves for being part of an oppressing group. That self-hate stuff I always feel is complete bogus. Like, seriously? If you really hated yourself, wouldn’t you just STFU and sit in a corner rather than keep writing posts about your grand and martyric self-hate on the altar of feminism? Plus, way to keep shouting out from the roof tops all the time how men ought to be quiet and just listen to women… These men I always suspect of being some kind of Swyzers behind the scenes.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I would love it if Hugo’s name became a term used to describe that specific form of assholery – like Santorum, but more specific.

Athywren
Athywren

I can’t help but wonder if maybe that group of people is where the MRM recruits their ex-feminist members from? It would explain why so many of them claim to have been feminists, yet still don’t understand the first thing about it.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@Cassandra, great idea! “Ugh, that guy is such a Schwyzer.”

@Athywren, they do seem to share the belief that the point of feminism is to make men hate themselves/apologize for being men.

grumpycatisagirl

“they do seem to share the belief that the point of feminism is to make men hate themselves/apologize for being men.”

Which also seems to be the point of the icky radfem blog post.

ashley
ashley

“It became quite clear to me some time ago that your typical woman would be fine making most men live in cages under 24/78 supervision if it meant they could feel just slightly safer about their lives.”

so basically, being an MRA is about their fear of women making men live a slightly exaggerated version of the way men actually do make many women live?