narcissism open thread playing the victim rape culture trigger warning victim blaming

Open Thread for discussion of Ariel Castro statement, sentencing. TRIGGER WARNING for whole thread.

Some commenters here have started discussing the Ariel Castro sentencing — and the remarkable, delusional, self-pitying, victim-blaming statement he made before being sentenced — in the Minter Meltdown thread. Because so much of what he said — and so many of the issues raised — are potentially triggering, I thought it would be good to open up a separate thread for this.

Here’s a piece at the Daily Beast with some of the most astounding quotes from Castro’s statement today.

Consider this whole thread to have a TRIGGER WARNING on it for discussions of Castro’s rape apologias and victim blaming.

grumpycatisagirl

Is the Masculist Man who wrote that horrible blog the same Masculist Man who sometimes troll-bombs here with the stupidest comments of ever?

I’m finding myself unable to put 600 pounds of weed into perspective. That’s the weight of a tiger.

Which made me do a little back-of-the-envelope calculation and actually you could buy about 50 tigers for the price of that much weed (upkeep not included).

Ally S

@grumpycatisagirl

Given that he always links to that blog, I’m sure he is.

kaitlyn
kaitlyn

MorkaisChosen, you are horrifyingly naive. rehabilitation is a myth, and it doesn’t matter if he never rapes again in his life.

he needs to pay.

cloudiah

Manboobz: Come for the mockery, stay to find out how many tigers you could trade 600 pounds of weed for.

Also, has anyone posted this Maclean’s story about MRAs yet? I’m behind on reading.

KathleenB
KathleenB

Katz: This was in ’77, so there’s probably been inflation. And holy shit, for some reason I thought that all happened a couple of years before I was born, but mom was actually pregnant with me when this happened. That’s… creepy.

Well, if the price of tigers and the price of weed rose at the same rate, then the exchange rate would still be the same.

kittehserf

I’d take one tiger and use the rest of the money for the upkeep. Because, tiger! I’d never miss a seat on the train again. Or pay for a ticket, either. No ticket inspector’s gonna argue with that kitty.

cloudiah

@drst, That story from California has been really upsetting. Here’s a link.

People can be so terrible. It’s scary.

hellkell
hellkell

All the damn side-eye to kaitlyn.

Unfortunately I suspect that the relative price of weed has dropped and the price of tigers has increased. (Which just means that, back then, you could have gotten even more tigers.)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ hellkell

Here a troll, there a troll, everywhere a…

kittehserf

I wouldn’t say rehabilitation is a myth; obviously it works in lots of cases. But I would say there are crimes that just outweigh it when it implies eventual release, and Castro’s crimes are among them. He needs to be in prison and away from women for the rest of his life.

cloudiah

Did kaitlyn even read what Morkaischosen wrote?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Why read when you can try to create drama? Clearly you have not received your copy of the troll manifesto yet.

cloudiah

Rehabilitation works pretty well for a lot of crimes. I mean, here in the US, we’ve been trying the lock all the black men up in prison route for a while, and that isn’t going so well. I’d much rather see diversion and/or rehabilitation programs tried for that.

I read an interesting article on this issue recently — I don’t agree with all of the arguments, but the data certainly is worth engaging with.

(And I apologize for posting the Maclean’s story link here in the Castro thread, since it doesn’t really belong here.)

hellkell
hellkell

Cloudiah: the comments in the macleans article rsidly devolved into the standard mra shitshow, complete with rantings from dean esmay.

cloudiah

My trolling is of exceedingly poor quality.

hellkell
hellkell

Rapidly devolved. Ah, phone typing.

kittehserf

One glance at the Maclean’s article was enough. Talk about soft soap.

kittehserf

Sometimes off topic can be a huge relief. I kind of wish I’d not read this thread. I’m remote from the whole Castro case, in that it doesn’t trigger me, but by Basement Cat it’s depressing.

Time for brain bleach:

Open threads are usually supposed to be more accommodating of random off-topic comments, no? Although we’re always so off-topic that it’s hard to tell.

kittehserf

Even as a total non-cook I’d like to see a cooking question!

kittehserf

OMG a question I can answer!

Yes, I tried stevia and found the same thing. Someone told me later (was it on here?) that you can only have very small amounts of it, or that bitterness kicks in. Which makes it kinda useless for a sugar replacement!

Robert
Robert

To paraphrase the Fabulous Furry Freek Brothers, six hundred pounds of weed will get you through times of no tigers better than a six hundred pound tiger will get you through times of no weed. That said, the ability of otherwise human beings to do monstrous things and still believe themselves to not be monsters has been well documented. But the willingness of at least one human being to defend Mr. Castro has dismayed me.

kittehserf

I use Hermesetas in my drinks. It has a distinct flavour, not like sugar, but I like it. I don’t know if it can be used in cooking. One point in its favour is that it doesn’t have the slightly chemical taste of some of the artificial sweeteners.

Ah, but I’m sure a 600-pound tiger could get you some weed.

kittehserf

But I don’t do weed, so that’s no help! I want tigers, dammit!

MordsithJ

Stevia: I’ve tried using it. I’ve found that the flavor varies depending on the brand. Also, it’s really, REALLY sweet, so you want to use only a tiny bit. Otherwise there’s this funky medicinal aftertaste.

I decided I didn’t like it. I’d rather stick with regular sugar and just eat less of it.

kittehserf

A 600 11 pound tiger doing weed shoes.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Has anyone here ever had stevia? I tried it a while ago, and it tasted really bitter. I’m trying to cut down on my sugar intake(under 25 grams a day), and a 0 calorie sweetener would be awesome.

I’ve found it’s ultimately easier to just re-train my taste-buds. I’ve learned to like plain water, and desserts that consist mostly of fruit. I wouldn’t eat a mass-market chocolate bar unless you paid me, like, a LOT, because I now find them to be sickeningly sweet and otherwise flavourless.

I read somewhere, once, that any sweetener, even stevia, that has that bitter aftertaste is still going to have some kind of insulin reaction.

I was cooking with Splenda for awhile, but it had a funny aftertaste, too. And one time, I mixed it with vanilla (part of the recipe) and it foamed up and tasted salty.

So yeah. No sugar, no zero-cal fake sugars. Just learn to like new flavours.

Robert
Robert

Stevia – my older son loves loves LOVES the sweet, especially in his breakfast cereal. We get him 365 brand* Stevia extract. So he’s learning to take the bitter (aftertaste) with the sweet.

*Yes, Whole Foods house brand. We are what we are.

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

You can get somewhat less bitterness by growing the stevia yourself and either drying it and using the powdered leaves or by making simple syrup (well sweet water, it won’t get syrupy) from one cup of water to about a quarter cup of chopped leaves. It’s potent stuff, though.

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

…and I’m on the ‘retrain the taste buds’ bandwagon as well. It’s been easier to ramp down the sweet than to find an acceptable sugar substitute, and now I just have the sugar itself when I want sweet (like for baking) because I’m down to so very little of it.

Falconer

This thread has become like a really bizarre game of Settlers of Catan.

I have tigers! Anyone wanna trade tigers for weed?

Falconer

I can turn enough weed into a police force.

Cthulhu's Intern

I was at work today and didn’t get to see it. Does anyone have a full transcript of his statement?

kittehserf

USian food is pretty highly sweetened generally, isn’t it?

Meh, the idea that almost all foods need sugar/salt to enhance the flavor is, IMO, not generally true. Some recipes need them; many don’t and you can get a more interesting flavor by just making better use of other ingredients. I always try to cut out or reduce salt and sugar if I’m not making a specifically salty or sugary dish.

kittehserf

katz, I agree. I rarely put salt or sugar on my food these days. My sweeteners are just for tea, coffee and cocoa.

Speaking of which, I just had a chicken and avocado sandwich with pepper in it. WHY? What does adding a burn to a sandwich do to improve the flavour? /grumble

Ally S

OT, but has anyone here tried reading terrible fanfic out loud and then recording it through Vocaroo? After finally getting Vocaroo to work on my browser, I’ve been doing it non-stop. In particular, I’ve been reading the infamous Peter Chimaera’s old work (found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/181593/Peter-Chimaera) Anyone else want to have a go at them?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Most processed foods have some sugar even if they’re not meant to be sweet, but in terms of stuff you make yourself, no, most non-dessert foods do not need sugar in them. In my entire collection of frequently used recipes there’s only one that calls for sugar (nikujaga), and even in that case I ended up taking the sugar out and liking the stew better that way.

Ally S

Oh, and here’s Vocaroo.

While I’m at it, here’s one I did: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0jZ4YPLU9kY (text is here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5413251/1/Digimon-3-Predator-Vs-Digimon)

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

I put about a tablespoon in when I am making a pot of French onion soup (for about four cups of sliced onions, to help them caramelize as they brown), but other than for cookies and the like, I don’t use sugar at all. I never liked sweet hot coffee (unless I am in the mood for Turkish coffee, which for me has to be sweet) and I’ve weaned myself off sweetened iced coffee as well.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ Ally

That dude is a Poe, right? I mean…

An ship of space travel tached down on the remotely desert of the planet that se4cretly was Earth but the ship didn’t know because it is plot twist. The crashing happened and then the ship crashed but bad. Out of ship cam Captain Harvey John and he said “My crew are dead so I have to forage in the wilderness” but then he found a city of apes.

“Oh no, this must be Earth” he questioned.

“Take him to the leader apes,” said a gorillas who were military him into town so hard it made him hurt his life.

“Who is this human” cried Dr. Zaius with yelling cry.

“My name is Captain John”

Dr. Zaius gapped, “This is outrage! Demand to kill him immeedley”

“You say that now,” explaining John “but I have evidence you will betray the apes”

“What have the evidence” asked Cornelius but then the gorillas got mad because he was siding with the humans after so much they had be through.

But he did not have to give the evidence because Dr. Zaius reached up with his angry growl and his fists were powerful ape claws that screamed with his mouth.

“He is mutating into evil” Zira said and she hid on the floor where the apes were hiding

Ally S

He probably is a Poe, but he’s probably one of the best Poes out there.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Hats off to him, it must take a lot of effort to consistently write like that.

Michelle C Young

The comment of his that I hate the most, I think, is when he claims that he didn’t rape them, because THEY WEREN’T VIRGINS. So what if they did have sexual partners before him? That doesn’t make his actions any less rapey. He forced them, whether by violence, threats, simply chaining them up and taking them while they were helpless, or by brainwashing. It’s ALL rape. And, yes, it absolutely is possible to rape a non-virgin. In fact, it’s possible to rape a prostitute! Get it through your heads, people! If a person does not say yes, then it is not consensual, and that is RAPE!

Arrrrgh!

kittehserf

That’s … not a whole lot worse than stuff I used to see on FanStory.