misandry MRA oppressed white men reddit

Mighty White of You

mrdatarace

So here’s an interesting chart. Guess what it represents?

A) The membership of the David Duke Fan Club

B) The racial breakdown of the most successful Liberace impersonators

C) The demographics of the Men’s Rights subreddit

Well, ok, that was too easy. It is of course all of the above. I’m guessing. It’s definitely C, at least, as this chart was prepared to show the results of the 2013 Men’s Rights subreddit demographic survey.

Now, you might say, well, isn’t Reddit itself a pretty white place? And you would be right. But the Men’s Rights subreddit seems to be a bit whiter — and a lot less black — than Reddit as a whole, if Quantcast’s estimates of Reddit’s overall ethnic breakdown are accurate.

redditoverallrace

In other completely non-surprising news, 89% of Men’s Rights Redditors are men. And a lot of them are libertarians. MRAs complain endlessly that we pigeonhole them as a bunch of entitled white dudes. They’re really not doing much to challenge that assumption.

The most important issue to these fellas (and the small minority that aren’t fellas)? Survey says: False rape accusations.

Other critical issues to the Men’s Rightsers include “custody rights” (which is a bit odd because 92% of those surveyed have no kids), “legal discrimination” (whatever that means), “education discrimination” (this is a thing?), and “male disposability.”

“Male birth control” and “paper abortion,” while relatively less important to the Men’s Rightsers, each got hundreds of votes.

I’m surprised “friendzoning” isn’t at the top of the list, but unfortunately it wasn’t one of the choices. I blame misandry.

RE: leftwingfox

Also, it’s just plain wrong. My grandfather was a pedophile, with a good few children. He didn’t need to molest anyone, and rapists don’t need to rape anyone. They CHOOSE to.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

bioncimommy: thanks, I’ll check those SSS products out. I would rather buy them from you instead of online.

I wish Texas werecloser to Joplin then because that’d be awesome. I agree, the online store just makes it lose a lot of its charm. It’s fun to sit down with an Avon rep, trying samples, chatting, and shopping. And they do still have lipstick samples and the original bath oil, btw. It’s a classic and still very popular.

The MRA’s should love this. Avon is trying to get more men to become Avon salespeople, too, because they are underrepresented compared to Avon ladies. So for all their fuss about women getting jobs in predominantly male professions, some pink collar jobs are reaching out to men as well.

Argenti Aertheri

Thoughts on doing non-binary genders as a subset of a general non-binary response?

And wtf should I do about politics and religion? Just pull lists from wiki?

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

You could let politics and religion be generate-your-own-answer boxes and then comb over the data to get categories later. Not the most statistically rigorous way of going about it, but definitely the best way not to exclude anyone.

Argenti Aertheri

“Argenti, if you include “Hispanic” as a category, make sure it’s either “Hispanic/Latin@” or have a separate Latin@ option”

Done!

I’ll post the full list of ethnicity options in a minute, I’m editing it now 🙂

leftwingfox

Perhaps this, with a text box for the specific sect entry?

Nepenthe, the survey engine doesn’t have that option 🙁

Argenti Aertheri

Nepenthe — not with the free version I can’t, or I totally would. I’m including “other” on everything though.

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

@leftwingfox

Uh, that corollary is not implied by OF’s statement.

I typed out a long series of logical implications, and then decided that my inner pedant didn’t need that much exercise. (But who am I kidding, my inner pedant isn’t inner at all. 🙂 )

Argenti Aertheri

leftwingfox — now that I can work with. Again, no fill-in boxes, but that should give me enough to do subsections for most sects.

Now, anyone got similar on politics? 🙂

Y’all remain awesomely useful btw.

Bad_dog
Bad_dog

Ok, I think I can distract from the idiot trolls for a few minutes. I was going to respond to a few things, but I think everyone else has done some pretty awesome take downs so I didn’t have to… Also, I can barely string two thoughts together and I need some internet hugs really badly… My best friend, really the only friend I have in the province had a heart attack the night before last and went in for open heart surgery today. I didn’t know about it until after it happened because I’m working in kind of a remote location and communication is spotty at best. I’m devestated and worried and I can’t get home for awhile and I’m just… There’s no words just anxiety and sadness, I’ve never been so scared in my life. He’s… everything to me. 🙁

Aaliyah

O: I don’t support rape for a very simple reason – because it’s not necessary. A Man with Game doesn’t need to rape anyone.

A hearty dose of “fuck you” coming right up.

LBT

Argenti, as far as us filling it out, you’re likely to just get me, since I’m really the only Boobzer. Even then, it’d likely get complicated. (My vessel is white. I’m not, but considering my situation, it really does get to be purely a cosmetic difference, and due to my predecessors, my ethnicity is… complicated. Embarrassingly absurd.)

Kittehserf

Nepenthe, I thought “A Man with Game doesn’t need to rape anyone.” very strongly implies that a man without Game does need to commit rape – and yeah, if he doesn’t choose either, he’s going to be a virgin.

Could we PLEASE ban this troll now?

Nepenthe
Nepenthe

Bad dog, I’m so sorry.

I can only offer Emergency Kittens

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

Quoting myself:

I disagree with your notion that the principle reason to oppose rape is because it’s less efficient than negging.

So I did point it out. I guess it was subtle. Or something.

Sorry, I just felt the need to reiterate that. Seeing as I can’t even really work up the wit and cheer to mock the notion that the principle reason to oppose rape is that, compared to other options for attaining an orgasm, it just isn’t that effective.

Think about that for a bit.
Let it rot your mind.
I’m going to go drink G&T’s now, and I won’t stop until I can literally speak technicolor and smell sounds.

@iinurashi. I just read your book. It was quite enjoyable. Thank you for making it public.

Kittehserf

Bad_dog, ALL the hugs, and all the good thoughts for your friend recovering!

Aaliyah

Bad_dog, I’m so sorry to hear that. Hugs if you want them, and here’s a picture of my older sister’s tabby and a little guest who stayed with at her house for a while:comment image

It does indeed. I’m getting a strong abuser-logic vibe, claiming that you’re not going to harm her, but making sure she knows that you could if you wanted to.

Kittehserf

Not only “could if you wanted to” (which given the usual physical differences between men and women, and the advantage an attacker has over their victim, is hardly news) but that you would if you wanted to, and the only thing preventing that is her complying while you … abuse and hurt her anyway.

cloudiah

Bad_dog, sending all my hugs and best wishes for your friend’s speedy and complete recovery.

Argenti Aertheri

Bad_dog — sending all the hugs your way, except the ones for your friend.

LBT — you want to just email me whatever you come up with and we can sort it out that way? You have my addy, feel free to use it!

hellkell
hellkell

Bad_dog: all the hugs to you and best wishes on a speedy recovery for your friend.

RE: Argenti

I actually lost your email. <.< Send it to me again?

Also, I finished my IS story! I need to fix up the cover and get it printed off. WOO!

leftwingfox

Bad_Dog: SO sorry to hear that. 🙁 Best wishes.

Myoo
Myoo

@Bad_dog
Sorry about your friend, I hope he pulls through.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ thebionicmommy

You have midges in the Midwest? I had thought that only Scotland and Russia were cursed with those little assholes.

I would like to send a package full of them to Mr “the only reason not to rape is that if you have game you don’t need to”. Maybe we can throw in some hornets too.

Kittehserf

I was talking to an old Russian man at the tramstop yesterday. He said spring in Siberia’s worse than winter, because the permafrost means the snowmelt can’t drain, and the place turns into a mosquito-infested swamp. Said he’s seen huge meltwater lakes and moose standing half a mile from the shore just to get away from them. He also said – I don’t know if he was feeding me a line or maybe had been in a gulag; I didn’t get time to ask – that a punishment was to tie someone up and leave them to the mosquitoes.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Wow, glad to see Mister “I don’t support rape because I don’t need it to get laid” was happy to provide the extraordinary(ily common) evidence of his own misogyny while I was out seeing Man of Steel.

In other news, Man of Steel is the best Superman movie I’ve seen, and yes I’ve seen the old ones.

Kittehserf

Nice to see a remake is good! 🙂

Aaliyah

Don’t forget about the house centipedes.

Viscaria
Viscaria

V: O’s arguments aren’t so much arguments as contradiction.

V: Signed,
V: Viscaria

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

@CassandraSays,

Sorry I was wrong. They are not midges I was thinking of. I was thinking of Trombiculidae, or harvest mites. It is a different type of bug that lives in the grass, and then bites your ankles and legs. They are very annoying, and if you have bare skin exposed, you’ll probably get bit. But bug repellants do keep them away too. And yes, rape apologists should romp around in the yard barefoot where the mites are and then not have any calamine lotion to deal with the itching afterward.

And I am also sorry for your friend, Bad Dog. I’m rooting for him to get well soon.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Very much so, Kittehserf. Although, in the end, Alan Moore already said more about Superman in Watchmen than any Superman movie probably ever will.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

@Tulgey Logger,

Since you’ve seen it, can you give me advice? Okay, my seven year old son loves Superman and all comic book hero movies. He wants to see Man of Steel real bad. I think it looks cool, too. The problem is I read it has a graphic tornado scene. My son just got done with trauma counseling and now only thinks about tornadoes during storms, but usually goes on like May 22 never happened. Do you think the movie would bring all that back and harm him? Or would it be good for him to watch stuff like that and get desensitized?

As for me, I know I can watch it just fine. I’ve seen enough in real life that watching death and tragedy on screen is no big deal anymore.

Kittehserf

LBT – priceless!

… are they sure the Millipede Planet wasn’t just the outback here?

RE: thebionicmommy

Hmm. Haven’t seen the movie, but maybe ask your son how he feels about it, making it clear you won’t judge him if he says he doesn’t want to see it? He might want to try and watch the movie anyway, but if he wants, maybe you could warn him about the tornado part if he wants to avoid it, so he can close his eyes or something.

RE: Kittehserf

The comics creator said that she was inspired by her Aussie friends talking about millipede season, as a matter of fact.

Argenti Aertheri

*is mostly done with survey break* more IS, then back to work (the HUGE list of religions on that page is proving to be actual work)…anyone got a similar list for political views? If not I’m going to resort to wiki. Also, I’m splitting the gender options to:

Cis Male
Cis Female
Trans* male
Trans* female
Non-binary

If non-binary, which of these?

It’ll make it easier compare M // F // non-binary and trans* // cis // non-binary (I may include a “if non-binary, do you consider yourself to be trans*”)

Debating on male // female vs man // woman too.

Also, should I include a question about economic class? Eg poverty, working poor, etc?

Anything else y’all want to see? (The smart ass question remains open!)

Coffee, IS, back to survey!

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I skimmed past most of boring troll’s self-promotion attempts because they were making me want to take a nap, but this part jumped out at me because it’s hilarious.

O: LOL. Nice! Quick, list me out all the Feminists who have Men as short as your dad?

You read it here, folks. Among the many crimes of which feminism is guilty is the fact that we didn’t build time machines and use them to go back and make our moms marry shorter men.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Unless he was trying to link the man one chooses to date to one’s dad, in which case that’s just creepy.

Kittehserf

How short is short, anyway? My man’s 5’7″ and that’s plenty tall enough for me. I hate being loomed over.

Debating on male // female vs man // woman too.

Definitely male // female so it can include minors.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

I don’t envy the decision you have to make, that’s a tough call. Quasi-Spoilers Ahoy: The tornado scene is very intense in terms of the presentation of the tornado, and it’s a pretty tragic event in terms of the story. It isn’t very graphic, but there’s implied death. The whole movie is like that: lots of destruction and implied death, but almost no blood or anything like that. I can’t say whether I would recommend that your son see it, but if he gets really worked up by storms or by movies about tornados, then it will not be good for him to see. If you feel like he’s able to see it but you aren’t sure, or if he’s okay with trying to watch the scene, I would recommend picking an aisle seat so he can leave the theater easily if it’s too much.

Kittehserf

(His morning height might be taller, of course. I’ve never checked.)

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

Well, I’m 5’2″ and my husband is 6’2″ so I must be the queen of misandry. And I won’t apologize for finding tallness attractive, especially to a guy that writes long blog posts ranting about how US women are too fat for him.

@LBT, yes I agree it’s good to give him the heads up before hand. It’d be like a trigger warning in a way, letting him know the movie has a scene that could upset him.

@Tulgey Logger, thank you for the description. It gives me a good idea of what to expect. It’s good that they didn’t put any much gore in it. That’s hard for adults to see, so it’s even harder for a kid recovering from trauma. My instincts are telling me that if we go, we will definitely sit in the back, near the aisle, so it’d be quick and easy to just duck out if he gets scared. But I’m not even sure we will try at all. As a mom, I’d rather have him hate me for not taking him than to go back to nightmares and all that again.

It’s not like it’d take long for it to come out on DVD, where I can just skip the scene altogether, letting us enjoy Superman without worries.

Argenti Aertheri

“Definitely male // female so it can include minors.”

Ah, good point! And I think I’m going with the aforementioned splitting out non-binary, but making the trans* // cis question a general one and include neither — my twitter’s had a lot of “does the trans* // cis binary exclude intersex people?”. I guess I’m more curious how our other non-binaries feel on that one, but the ALL ABOUT ME thing shouldn’t be coded into the survey! (Bad Argenti, eradicate that bias! [and the enemy! It’s EA time!])

Argenti Aertheri