antifeminism misogyny MRA oppressed white men patronizing as heck reddit straw feminists

Feminism: It’s like letting your kids stay up eating ice cream

funny-crazy-mad-kid-girl-ice-cream-youll-scream-pics

How would you define feminism in a sentence or two?

Wait, stop thinking, for Reddit’s ImissAOL  has already provided a wonderfully concise and accurate definition:

I see modern feminism as the equivalent to letting your kids stay up all night eating ice cream.

He adds, helpfully:

Just because they feel they are getting their way doesn’t mean it is actually benefiting them.

Gosh, that’s not patronizing at all!

Sometimes doing this blog makes me hungry.

I would like to know how does one discuss unfamiliar issues without hypothetical examples or a theory as a reference point?

Why not just ask?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

He isn’t like, idk, off firebombing courthouses or anything?

CWS came up with an immortal image of him sitting on a deckchair outside the White House, beach umbrella over his head, shouting at the President for being to blame for everything. 🙂

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Many men don’t want custody of their children.

MRAs want ownership of their children. They don’t want responsibility for them, or their presence; they want them as tools to hurt and control the children’s mother. Their constant shrilling about paying maintenance is indicative enough of how little they care about children.

Argenti Aertheri

Oh so that’s where the deck hair thing comes from!

Yep!

drst
drst

Rule #1 – if you’re not familiar with an issue? Either shut up or ask for resources to learn more before you say a word.

If you actually were any good at academic argument, you’d know that already. Of course, that would interfere with your mansplaining to all the silly women on the internet about feminism and lesbians and why it’s so wrong of them not to smile and act nice to the MRM and try to find common ground with these men who want us enslaved or dead. That would totes cramp your style, I get it.

Oh and for the record, in case nobody else pointed this out to you, your “there was no consent law for underage lesbian sex that’s female privilege and misandry!” argument is utter bullshit when PEOPLE FUCKING GET KILLED FOR BEING GAY EVERY GOD DAMNED DAY. Including lesbians. Including teenaged kids who may not be doing anything against the law but who will suffer an epic shitstorm and life threatening danger if anyone finds out about them.

Jesus wept.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Here are some resources for Martyn:

Note this part, especially, lad: “Named for a behavior commonly exhibited by male newbies on internet forums frequented primarily by women. Often leads to a flounce. Either sex can be guilty of mansplaining.”

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Shiraz – love this one from Urban Dictionary: “Despite claims of superior strength in avoiding over-emotional reactions, when a man encounters even one iota of criticism of men on the internet, he must then mansplain why women suck by comparison or must be radical feminists.”

Sounds like some of our classic trolls of yore.

Shiraz
Shiraz

It’s uncanny, isn’t it, Kitteh?

Some Gal Not Bored at All

I disagree with the definition in that I don’t think mansplwining is the same from women as from men. There is so much research on the different ways male and female speech is perceived. And I think that it is a false equivalency.

(But then I also disagree that women can be Nice Guys (TM). I think the power differential means that any sense of entitlement is different when coming from women.)

Some Gal Not Bored at All

*mansplaining

Today is one of those days when I wish I could toss my kindle in Amazon’s face. They really need to update the damn thing so it works better.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

::makes note not to buy Kindle::

Yeah, I agree about mansplaining and NiceGuy(TM) not really being applicable to women. They’re both about the man’s sense of entitlement.

Shiraz – totally! 😀

Some Gal Not Bored at All

@The Kittehs’

Part of the reason I have trouble with it is because I use it for over 6 hours straight most days because I am stuck in bed so much. If you use it like a normal person, it probably wouldn’t do the crazy things it does when it gets tired and cranky. 🙂

I love it for everything but the browser and I could install a different one, technically.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Wearing the poor thing out! 😀

I haven’t even started investigating what sort of e-reader thingy to get. All my research so far is asking “what kinds do manboozers use?”

Some Gal Not Bored at All

My sister loves her kindle (she has the cheapest one available, with ads) and we have one of those that we’ve barely used. The kindle fire has made an amazing difference in my life, personally. I have a case with a stand so I can rest it on my lap and spare my hands the weight and it is a great size for moving my as little as possible, but big enough that everything is easy to see. We got my mom the fire last year and she lives it too.

If you like games (even like Sudoku and logic puzzles), the fire is fantastic for that. I love doing those picture puzzles and also playing more traditional gamey-games. Obviously, few people will get as much out of it as the mostly-bedridden person, but after two years, I still love the thing. (When it behaves.)

Argenti Aertheri

Kitteh — iPad here, and I’ve gotten so fond of auto-correct that typing on a real keyboard is weird (and I have a mac!). Not really an e-reader, and more expensive, but I’m thrilled with it. Do splurge for the extra gigs though, 16g fills up fast when you’ve got an 8g~ music collection and issues with not having things available on all your devices. Mine’s a mini, not sure what pecunium’s is, or if he uses it nearly as much as I do, but I know he’s also got one.

Short version — I’ve been nearly exclusively on my iPad since Christmas, and other than the occasional auto-correct fail, I love it (and honestly, I can’t spell, auto-correct saves me more than it screws me)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I’m only looking at it as a replacement for paperbacks. Come the time Mum and I have to move to a smaller place, we’ll have to offload most of what we have.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I have a Nook first generation because all I wanted it for is reading and I did not want the lit screen.
My grandson loves the Kindle Fire. Says the battery lasts and lasts.
Cousin adorables the Ipad but does not use it for reading.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Argenti – I don’t really fancy Mac stuff. I’m much more at home with Windows, Mac things are much more expensive, and I can’t abide Steve Jobs … besides, I only want it for books. I so seldom listen to music at all now that I haven’t felt the urge to upgrade from a Discman.

Argenti Aertheri

I’m ambivalent on using the iPad for reading. On the one hand, it does work, and well. On the other, I like the smell of old books (this is my one complaint with EA’s book actually, the gorgeous full color pages will never turn yellow and smell like old books)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Martyn, dude, brevity is your friend. When you bang on at great length like this it means that people find you tedious in addition to your other flaws. BTW, your clarification doesn’t make you sound any less creepy, just so you know.

Also, this?

This was educated to children

Either your teachers should have “educated to” you a great deal more diligently or you really weren’t paying attention during English lessons. Your grammar makes Shakespeare, Milton, and the baby Jesus cry.

Argenti Aertheri

Lol, discman, my lasted nearly a decade, but I kept soldering it back together. And hey, ymmv on mac, my only comment on that is that Steve Jobs isn’t even alive, forget about in charge, and that’s me being pedantic about facts, not commentary on mac v. windows.

…in case of zombie apocalypse I’m actually decent at electronic repair, ranging from simple soldering to replacing laptop parts…not sure that’d help any, but hey, maybe I can fix radios too?

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

“my only comment on that is that Steve Jobs isn’t even alive”

Ha!

😉

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Still, a thirty percent profit margin on Apple products while using sweat shops to build them is inexcusable.

drst
drst

I put in a vote for the Google Nexus tablets. I bought a Nexus 7 right when they came out and I love it. It’s the same size and weight as the Kindle or Nook but since it’s built for internet rather than being just an e-book reader it’s got both a good browser in Chrome and the ability to install others, since it runs on the Android OS. Which is also convenient as there’s tons of apps for Android stuff. Decent battery life, the speakers are crap but it’s a tablet and not built for playing sound that way, my only complaint is the power cord is really short.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Short cord is a problem on the Nook too. It is only about 3′ long. Requires an extension cord.

Some Gal Not Bored at All

I bought a longer cord for my kindle for the price of a 3.1 amp base (I got a deal and it ended up pretty cheap like under $5 and another for $10) and a $3 6 foot long cord. Totally worth it.

The speakers on the kindle are not too great, but I bought an iHome speaker for $20 that is great, and a pillow speaker for $15 that is one of the best things I’ve ever purchased. Between the two, I am set for living room, kitchen, bathroom (while I shower), and bedroom (when the boyfriend is sleeping in or when we go to sleep).

Some Gal Not Bored at All

If you get the basic kindle, it will charge from any USB and you could just get the $3 6-foot cord.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

I have a Sony PRS-505, bought before iPad came out, before kindle was available in Canada. It’s not wireless, it doesn’t browse. Apparently you can store pictures and music/audiobooks on it, but I only ever use it for reading. It’s reliable, easy on the eyes, and the battery lasts about a week. (It does occasionally lose its mind and powers down when it looks like it has full bars, and I have to leave it alone for half an hour so it can pull itself together, but that happens maybe twice per year.)

A co-worker has the new, peripherally-lit Kobo, and she loves it. The light is MUCH nicer than any of the other lit e-ink versions I’ve seen.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

The only thing that really bothers me about the Sony is that you can’t read on it while it’s charging. When it shuts down, I have to find something else to do. I’ve learned to time my battery recharging with my sleep cycle.

thenatfantastic

This is really late and going back to something from pages ago, but I just couldn’t let this slide. I’m about Martyn’s age and also went to school in the UK, and we absolutely were not taught “…and lesbianism is fine for all ages *nudge nudge wink wink*”, especially because Section 28, which banned ‘promotion of homosexuality’ in schools, wasn’t repealed until 2003, and the age of consent for homosexual relationships had been reduced to 16 in 2000. So yeah. Backside. Talking out of.

titianblue
titianblue

I’m shocked, shocked, I tell you. Okay, not really. As is ever the way, any discussions of age of consent I’ve encountered have, of course, concentrated on heterosexual or gay sex. Because men.

pecunium

Nerd: Factoring in (generic violence + rape) would be unfair regardless of situation.

I see, so if you exclude rape you get to say men are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime, but if you add rape (a violent crime), then you can’t.

This is dishonest.

and come out with an answer that is extremely biased in favour of MRM-arguments

Whut? factoring out a crime, so that men are the greater victim is an MRM trick, not the other way round.

Well the MRM is primarily about men’s rights and feminism is primarily about women’s rights.

Objection, facts not in evidence (or, to take a note from Scotland, “not proven”). So far as I can see, from some pretty wide ranging travels in the Manosphere, the point of the MRM is to “put women in their place).

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

DOOOOON’T bring him back! Nerd = Martyn Hare, longest-winded and most boring little creep since B___.

Argenti Aertheri

Facts not in evidence = facts not proven? Maybe I’m just too used to HS debate…

Seriously though, please don’t summon him, he’s already a contender for top troll.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Is it just me who reads “Feminism: it’s like lett…” in the comments bar as “Feminism: it’s like lettuce”?

Argenti Aertheri

I didn’t, until now! Feminism, it’s like lettuce!

Please let that work! *is kind of too drunk to be sure on the html* (I’m a magician, not an elf! And +1 internet to anyone who gets that joke)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ Nat

Thank you. I’m older so I was giving him a teeny amount of leeway in the sense that, well, the time period in which I went through sex ed in the UK was different, but I was having a really hard time imagining sex ed classes that were all “yay, lesbians can totally fuck kids and it’s legal!”.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I don’t win an internet, I didn’t get the joke! But yummy looking lettuce.:)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

I do, however, have toasted ham, cheese and tomato sammiches for tea

nom nom nom

pecunium

Argenti: “Objection, facts not in evidence”, is a legal term for a variation of “shifting the goalposts”. It’s basically when someone makes a statement/poses a question, which has an assumption of a known fact in it, when that fact isn’t, as yet, in the record.

“Not Proven” is a Scottish verdict”, and it means, “while we don’t believe the accused didn’t do it, the evidence isn’t enough to convict”.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Prominent Misanderer of the Gynocracy
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Prominent Misanderer of the Gynocracy

The little girl’s face is hilarious….an alternative caption would be “I f**king LOVE ice cream!!!” (like with the picture of the kid coloring while making a similar face).

With that said…great, another mansplanation which paints women as children! I was just thinking we don’t get *nearly* enough of those, which is why our silly little girl-brains get confused and think we’re grown-ups capable of making adult decisions. So nice of this man to sort it out for us silly girls.

*Post contains a shitload of sarcasm*
(I am serious about the little ice cream fiend though xD)

1 4 5 6