actual activism antifeminism atheism manginas misogyny MRA rationalization hamster reddit self-congratulation

Reddit MRA upvote brigade to the rescue! Or, the Battle of the Urban Dictionary Atheism+ Definition

Reddit MRAs, heeding the call to service, once again prove what dedicated activists they are. Check out the upvotes on this baby!

Today Urban Dictionary, tomorrow the world! (Also, check out those tags!)

Oh, and in case you were wondering, Reddit MRAs also wield a mean downvote; see definition numero dos.

Of course, Man Boobzers reign supreme where it really counts: the Rationalization Hamster meme!

Tony Sidaway (@TonySidaway)

That’s pretty self-defeating. What they’re saying, though they don’t seem to realise it, is “Atheism+ is something that really gets women-hating atheists very angry.”

inurashii
inurashii

If the MRAs were smart, they’d spam a whole bunch of definitions to push the actual one further down. No one with three brain cells is going to question which one is a definition and which one is bald-faced propaganda.

Also, it’s very polite of them to prove the necessity of Atheism+ so definitively.

Course all of this would be more worrying if anybody actually went to Urbandictionary to learn what a movement is rather than, say, to find out what those kids mean when they say ‘twerkin.’

Marz
Marz

Cannot stop laughing at the rationalization hamster meme. Sums it up pretty good!

ShadetheDruid

Still amazed that people are whining about people “redefining atheism”. These people really need to look into the definition of “plus”.

blitzgal

OMG, the first hamster made me snorfle at my desk, and then promptly forward the image to several people who wanted to know why I was laughing. Aces plus.

Ryan
Ryan

So is this the r/atheism equivalent of the Great Schism?

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Gah, and I found this one: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Men%27s%20Movement although it only has a small number of votes and has been there for almost a year.

Who is Redwolf_JM?

An lnconvenient Truth
An lnconvenient Truth

American Girlyban? Yep, sounds about right.

Citizen Justin
Citizen Justin

Hmmm, I thought Men’s Movement was something different. I thought it was all those guys banging drums about 20 years ago.

Biot
Biot

I did my part for the gynocracy today by downvoting the MRM definition and upvoting the correct definition.
Being a traitor to my gender never felt so good.

Falconer

What in the world does Sipp E. Cupp have to do with anything that she’s in the tags on that definition? I don’t pay much attention to her, admittedly. Did she write the quote given after the definition?

Falconer

if a man committed the same crime–say, sawing off his wife’s boobies–he is suddenly called a criminal.

I shouldn’t be surprised that, if they’re still on about Valerie Solanas, they’d still be on about Lorena Bobbitt. And yet, strangely enough, I am. Go figure.

blitzgal

Turns out that chopping off body parts IS actually against the law. Lorena Bobbitt was charged with a crime, and ultimately found not guilty by reason of insanity by the jury.

Interesting sidepoint — 1993 is the same year that all 50 states finally got around to making marital rape a crime. Chopping off body parts = illegal. Raping your wife, on the other hand, was NOT illegal for many years in this country.

freitag235
freitag235
freitag235
freitag235

Crap. Didn’t embed.

MKlein
MKlein

I am not an atheist, so I guess I don’t have a dog in this fight, but it seems like anyone who believes that there is no God, is an atheist. So on those grounds alone, Atheism Plus seems to be an atheistic movement (duh).
I don’t see what the issue is here. Plenty of religions also delve into social issues, so why shouldn’t atheism get involved, too? Atheists aren’t just “atheists” in a vacuum, they’re also women, racial/ethnic minorities, LGBTQ, and/or disabled.

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Yeah, I vaguely remember that. I imagine it would be dismissed by these morons as feminising men or some such thing. This “movement” is the sort that should have “bowel” in front of it, though it’s considerably less useful.

inurashii
inurashii

Choofums, did you actually have anything to say or did you just want to make sure we knew that you were firmly allied with atheist misogynist scumbags as well as theistic ones?

Myoo
Myoo

@An lnconvenient Truth
Girlyban, really?
I had to read the actual article to know what the fuck it meant, because it sounds like something about banning girls, but then I realize it’s actually meant to evoke “Taliban”, which is just as absurd.

Skyborn Rocket
Skyborn Rocket

@Ryan

Kinda sorta. There’s backlash starting to develop in the online atheist community against the MRAs that are in their midst. It wasn’t their main beef so they ignored it, but lately there’s been a couple notable large outbursts of asshattery from those who are MRAs that were fairly public, making them consider it seriously. So… there is a bit of a split developing, yeah.

teiresias
teiresias

I have to note that I find it interesting that they like to throw around the term “bully” so much. It demonstrates that a lot of nerds do have a persecution complex. Admittedly, a lot of nerds who do have one got it for very good reasons, but it’s gotten to the point where they see anyone telling them they’re wrong as a bully. In other words, this may not just be a sexism issue. This is outright paranoia, and they’re especially hard on women because so many of them are angry Nice Guys(tm) and therefore think all women who don’t tell them what unique and special snowflakes they are are just as bad as the guys who wedgied them in high school.

I don’t know what you say to such people. I’m like them in a lot of ways (without some of the more productive twists and turns in my educational history, i very well might have grown up to be a libertarian) but I wasn’t bullied nearly as much as a lot of them were, and most of my close friends were female in high school, so although I had a few unrequited crushes (one of whom is one of my very best friends in the world), it’s hard for me to put myself in the paranoid, hateful mindset they seem to thrive in. Shaming them is necessary but probably counterproductive in the short run.

teiresias
teiresias

Skyborn:

Well, TheAmazingAtheist is well on his way to being a pariah, but he’s just a drop in the bucket.

leftwingfox

Girlyban?

The Taliban recently shot a 14-year-old girl for daring to encourage girls to get an education in Pakistan. They have said if she survives, they’ll try again.

And you’re comparing a bunch of atheist feminists to that?

You seriously need to re-examine your fucking life.

Skyborn Rocket
Skyborn Rocket

Teiresias:
I’m aware, but I was of the impression that there were other incidents, at conferences and the like in addition to online, that got some of the others who are more notable in the community to start to speak up about various bullshit going on. Notably there was a shitfit thrown over criticism that conferences held by the secular/atheist community should have clear anti-sexual harassment policies while the currently are only covered under “may eject if disruptive” ones.

aworldanonymous

So the only brain bleach I have to offer today is that a couple of my friends got a kitten and named him Spindle. Spindle is adorable.

teiresias
teiresias

Skyborn:

I’ll believe it when I see the fuckers start to shut up. Like I said, though, these people need to be railroaded somewhere, but that will only make them angrier and won’t do much in the the long term as a result.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Sweet, my hamster made it onto a post. *High-fives self.*

Hey Incontinent Truthyisms, thanks for posting that article and confirming your own sexism. I don’t know how we would have figured it out otherwise.

SkyBorn Rocket
SkyBorn Rocket

Teiresias:

Well, we’ll see I suppose. I could easily be misinformed on this one.

Arielle Shander

So…they think that feminism is “co-opting” the atheism movement by being concerned with both women’s rights and secularism…yet MRA atheists also believe that they can and should be able to freely take atheism and combine it with their movement? The smart thing for them to do would be to accept the fact that, despite sharing some common ground as atheists, not everyone will agree with their MRA viewpoint. That would be asking too much, though, I guess.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

Speaking of co-opting, I’ve been getting quite pissed off with secularist groups using what’s happened to Malala Yousufzai to rail against Islam. I mean, last time I checked she was a Muslim and the organised atheist movement had a serious misogyny problem.

Although it is very much a horrible feature of the left to assume that once they’ve solved that group’s particular issue (secularism, anti-capitalism &c.) that all the other oppressions will just magically disappear.

(I say this as an atheist and an anarchist by the way)

MorkaisChosen
MorkaisChosen

Arielle: Well, obviously it’s because the MRA belief system is self-evidently true; people only reject it out of self-interest.

(SARCASM)

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Yeah, saying the Taliban = all Muslims is like saying Westboro Baptists = all Christians (I know they’re not equivalent as far as violence goes, but Westboro were the ones that came to mind immediately as hateful extremists who know jack shit about their own religion).

I’ve been wondering whether this whole skeevy sexism in the atheist groups (like the disgusting way Rebecca Watson and Jen McCreight have been treated) is a case of MRAs infiltrating or just a case of the atheist groups including one hell of a lot of arrogant, whiny, privileged white guys who would never DREAM of examining their own privilege while they could focus on that lovely big “I’m an atheist and everyone is cruel to me!” chip on their shoulders. Not MRAs as such, just misogynist douchebags.

BTW I realise that things are different in the US, where the culture seems to be much more heavily Christianity-permeated than here in Oz, and there are serious issues of separation of state and church.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

@Kittehs

I think this has been discussed before, but people who only identify as atheists tend to be privileged in every other way. Like, I’m an atheist because I don’t believe in god, but I don’t really campaign about it or have it as a big part of my identity. I’m an anarcha-feminist and campaign about stuff relating to that because as a working class woman, I feel those oppressions more. Someone putting up a prayer in a school bugs me, but I’m not going to expend all my efforts on stopping that when there is, to put it one way, bigger fish to fry.

thenatfantastic
thenatfantastic

*”I’m an” should say “I primarily identify as an”

The Kittehs' Unpaid Help
The Kittehs' Unpaid Help

Ta for the note, thenatfantastic.

Say – are those fish fried in FISH BARS? 😉

ShadetheDruid

thenatfantastic: Well the problem (I think) with those people who identify only as atheists and nothing else (or as MRAs and such) isn’t really that they focus on and expend all their efforts on government-sponsored religion related things to the exclusion of everything else, it’s often that they don’t even believe that other issues (like institutionalised/cultural misogyny/racism etc) even exist.

Not sure if that’s really that much of an important distinction though, since the result is the same either way: douchebaggery.

whataboutthemoonz

I am suuuuuuper suspicious of the fact that An Inconvenient Truth keeps posting links with no introduction and no explanation and hides them behind tinyurls so no one can see where they go.

someguy bored with your schtick
someguy bored with your schtick

David, you won’t agree with the sentiments, but you have to love the musical background of this video re: the Urban Dictionary feud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZR6dxr4YeQ&feature=g-all-f

inurashii
inurashii

hey david do you like my new clothes david i smeared them with poop just for you i know you don’t like poop but i made it just for you david

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Schticky is starting to remind me of this.

Yuyuko Saigyouji
Yuyuko Saigyouji

The one good thing about Urban Dictionary is that it helps me understand whatever slang someone might be using every now and then.

Way too many definitions are pretty biased or pathetic one way or the other.

nerdypants
nerdypants

High-fives self

Heh, that made me imagine someone jumping and clapping up high.

nerdypants
nerdypants

… or just a case of the atheist groups including one hell of a lot of arrogant, whiny, privileged white guys

Yeah, sadly, I think it’s a demographic problem. Atheism correlates with wealth and education, the kinds of privileges white dudes tend to have. The most prominent New Atheists are old white dudes too. But on the plus side (ha!) Atheists find a lot of community through the Internet – I have some interesting overseas groups on my reading list like “Syrian Atheists” – so I’m hopeful that the imbalance will correct itself, eventually. It’s going to be interesting when it does.

Skyborn Rocket
Skyborn Rocket

I really do wish that the misogynistic parts of the atheist community would STFU. I’m not an atheist myself, I’m a deist and as such very sympathetic, but a strong secular community and one concerned about separation of church and state is definitely something the US needs to balance the more… committed… of the religious communities.

For that to happen the community needs to not have other forms of bigotry in it. I’d welcome the community being ‘co-opted’ by feminism or some other form of egalitarianism. Hell, if I wanted to be trolltastic I’d suggest Syndicalism Socialism should co-opt them.

As for why there’s a misogynistic element in the first place… atheism is one of the few edgy things that a well educated and well off white person can engage in. As such, its going to attract douche bags on top of those who arrived there by introspection. And online its one of the easy ways to get attention with videos, rants, and blogs.

hyperdeath

We were wondering on the Atheism Plus Forum where these votes were coming from. Now we know.

Pear_tree
Pear_tree

Is a secular state really just an atheist ideal? I don’t believe in God but if I did I don’t think I would be happy if the state told me I had to worship God in one way when I believed God should be worshipped in another. Similarly if I believed in a particular interpretation of God I wouldn’t be happy if the state told me that was wrong and I should believe in their interpretation. Secularism is important to religious people as well. In fact possibly more so, as someone with no belief I don’t mind having to sing songs to a being I don’t believe in because it doesn’t compromise my beliefs. I definitely don’t think atheists come off worst from the repression of religion. It surprises me though that a secular society is presented as an atheist issue, the importance of no state imposed religion is even greater for those who have a religion that isn’t the state imposed one. Or to put it more simply, I think I suffer less prejudice for not believing than I would if I was Muslim.

As for sexism in the atheist community, I think it comes down to the fact that to some degree some religious people in every community are trying to severely repress women’s rights. Atheists point out they allow women to exist, and don’t understand why we aren’t grateful for that. Similarly many atheists are happy to let religious people exist as long as they don’t mind being laughed at and ignored all the time.

thebionicmommy
thebionicmommy

That’s very true. The goal of a secular state is to make it where people are free to worship or not worship however they choose to without government coercion. So people of one religion wouldn’t want public places to force them to pray to deities of another religion, just like atheists wouldn’t want to be forced to pray at all.

In August, I didn’t understand Amendment 2 on the ballot so I voted yes. But since then, I’ve read that even though the ballot said it was for the 1st Amendment, Missouri’s Amendment 2 is against the 1st Amendment? It’s hard to protect the separation of church and state because of stuff like that. It’s just like how my mom accidentally voted against regulating puppy mills because the ballot was confusing.

Polliwog

Ugh, yes, the ballot summary for Amendment 2 was absolute garbage. I was one of the tiny percentage of people who voted no on it, but only because I looked it up on Ballotpedia in advance. I find it incredibly offensive and anti-democratic that people so frequently have to do homework beforehand simply in order to translate what’s on the ballot into something resembling “what this amendment actually DOES.”

That said, we do live in a system where that’s necessary, so I’d strongly advocate for everyone to make use of Ballotpedia and similar sites before any time they vote – otherwise, it’s far, far too easy to end up voting to support abusing puppies when you thought you were voting to support small business owners. 🙁

1 2 3 4